The National Lottery Community Fund have announced a new UK wide fund - Leaders with Lived Experience 2020
This funding will support lived experience leadership, and make sure lived experience plays a key role in shaping how communities move towards recovery and renewal after the impact of COVID-19. Lived experience leader is someone who uses their first-hand experience of a social issue to create positive change for communities and people who share those experiences (and works with them to do that).
You can apply if your organisation:
- was set up by a lived experience leader
- is run by a lived experience leader
- has leadership that reflects the people it wants to support.
What do they mean by 'lived experience leader'?
Someone who uses their first-hand experience of a social issue to create positive change for communities and people who share those experiences (and works with them to do that).
- someone who has been homeless who is working to improve homelessness services
- a person with HIV who has set up and is running a peer-to-peer support service for other people with HIV
- a person who has lost a loved one to suicide who has set up and is running a support group for others who have lost someone to suicide.
It's important that all the organisations funded through this programme are led by lived experience leaders who lead on designing, developing and delivering the activities they're planning.
It will fund projects that meet the following funding priorities:
- lived experience leadership can be central in developing strategies for the renewal of civil society through and beyond the COVID-19 crisis
- supporting and developing lived experience leadership at all levels of an organisation
- creating new opportunities for lived experience leaders and lived experience-led organisations to be central to any COVID-19 recovery and renewal response.
- Involving lived experience leaders in designing and delivering services that meet the needs of communities most impacted by COVID-19.
- Creating time and space for lived experience leaders to think more about strategy, objectives and influencing, or developing strategy in general.
- Creating time and space for lived experience leaders to influence how communities recover and renew after the impact of COVID-19, in a strategic way. This might be for a specific geographic area or for a particular sector.
- Developing networks of support and collaboration between lived experience-led organisations, to create strategies that resolve intersections in lived experience. For example, working with Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic (BAME) care leavers, or disabled people in lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans and queer + (LGBTQ+) communities.
- Helping lived experience-led organisations become more resilient and sustainable. For example, through training, personal or professional development, planning to hand leadership over to others, improving digital capacity, or support packages to improve wellbeing.
- Supporting existing projects or creating new projects that help lived experience-led organisations and leaders to meet the needs of the communities they serve during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Supporting existing work or creating new projects that help to prevent crises like COVID-19 from impacting some communities (such as disabled people and BAME communities) more than others.
Grants of £20,000 to £50,000 over a 2 year period are available. You can apply for this funding, even if your organisation has already applied to the National Lottery Community Fund for COVID-19 funding, whether your application was successful or unsuccessful.
13 October 2020, 5pm
For more information click here